Sunday, August 14, 2005

Halfway Thru...

Well, it's the weekend already. I wish I could have more time to spend here with family and friends, but unfortunately, academic scheduling forbids that. So I can only make the best of this remaining week. At least I've met up with some of the friends already and can meet up with some more next week.

Anyways, I've spent most of the weekend reading. 2 books concurrently in fact. The first (brought to me by the miracle of the internet) is Angels and Demons. It's a very interesting read, and discuss a little bit about the clash between the two pillars of belief, Science and Religion. Personally, I don't care much for religion, but after reading the book, I would say that it did provoke some thoughts about 'God'. Nothing much to actually change my beliefs but it was interesting nevertheless.

The 2nd book (brought to me by the kindness of CHF and ZHENZ) is The Science of Discworld II:The Globe. While I've always liked Terry Prachett's style of writing, I believe that the first book was more interesting. This one talks about culture and society, and how our ability to tell and understand stories have differentiated us from other apes. It's a lot harder to substantiate stuff like that and still tell a good story. So it's kinda disappointing as a book. But I still have the 3rd book in the series (also brought to me by the kindness of CHF and ZHENZ). Hopefully that will be a better read. Interesting to note that I could only find those books on the UK Amazon...

Lastly, we have a 'new' president. La di da di da. Like anyone (who is even slightly cynical) expected anything else. I won't comment on this blog. Too much potential repercussions, but it's interesting that the dirt on the other nominee(s) didn't emerge until they stated they wanted to run...

No comments: