Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Sooo many things...

Well, so I didn't update the whole of last week cos for the most of the week, I was trying to setup a pilot plant dryer. That meant standing outdoors in 10 degree (celsius) weather and rain for 3 of 4 days. On the fourth day (Thursday), I was originally slated to return to the Windy City but unfortunately, the dryer had more problems than expected and my return was rescheduled to Saturday. It's a real challenge to extend your wardrobe which was packed for a 3 day trip and make it last for 6... I won't go into gross details but I thank whatever gave me the inspiration to pack extra underwear...

Just for my own future references and for any engineers out there, the sequence I did on the pilot dryer was as follows (Warning technical stuff ahead):
-START TECHNICAL STUFF-
1. Check the electrical connections for the control panel
2. Check the alarms and interlocks of system
3. Fix all mechanical/electrical problems

Issues I faced were:

1. VFDs mis-wired. The VFD for the mixer was wired to the feeder screw.
2. Faulty explosion panel on cyclone.
3. Wrong burner DPS.
4. Missing potentiometer on burner motor.
5. Lots of miswiring in the Control Panel.
6. Stupid control panel display.
-END TECHNICAL STUFF-

So because we didn't managed to resolve all the issues by Saturday afternoon last week, here I am, back in the plant to iron out all the kinks. Luckily, most of the problems have been solved in the last two days and basically when I arrived today, I just got to play around with the dryer and saw what corrections were made.

But even on my return to the plant, there were problems. I had a 735am flight so I left my home at 530am, figuring that since O'hare was only about 50 miles away, I had plenty of time in the morning. Unfortunately, it seems that a journey of 264000 feet takes 2 hours in the pre-dawn Chicago trafficc. That works out to be slightly below 30 miles per hour. No chance of me getting a ticket at those speeds. Needless to say, I had to take the next flight which was at 11am. The good news is that I completed about 25% of Mario & Luigi:Partners in Time while waiting.

So that was my week in a nutshell. I'll try to post pics sometime soon. And here's some insight into the game of Dota for the uninitiated. Cheers.

P.S. Go BULLS!!Beat Miami!! (Halftime score:59-30 Bulls)

No comments: