Monday, April 05, 2010

Brazil Trip - Part 1

So some of you might know that I recently went to Brazil for some work. So here's the pictures and stories I have from that trip.

I took the late flight from Chicago to São Paulo and arrived at 10am on a Saturday morning. My first task was to go from the international airport (São Paulo-Guarulhos International Airport) to the domestic airport (Congonhas Airport). To do that, I could either take a cab or take the 'Airport Bus Service'. I went with the bus service as it was more economical (31 reais vs ~100 reais) and I had time to kill on the first day anyways as my flight inland was on Sunday morning.
It's a trip from the east of São Paulo to the west and took me about 50 minutes. The bus basically takes you through some parts of the city and then on the outskirts for others.

It's a big city. Lots of sprawl and many tall building as well. Oh and the weather was great too. Blue skies, white clouds, 28 degrees C...
Either the Mystery Machine has gone into catering or this is a blatant copyright rip-off. But I guess everyone wants Scooby-branded baked goods and snacks.

There is some weird architecture here as well.

When I first saw the row of stuffed toys on the road divider, I was wondering what was going on, until I saw the lady hawking the stuff. Just like here, there are people who try to make a living from the road divider and at traffic junctions.

For a city of ~18 million people, Congonhas Airport doesn't look all that big or modern...

This is the hotel I stayed at the first night. It's like the Holiday Inn of Brazil. Unfortunately, their website isn't too informative in English.

Well, that's it for this first post. I'll continue later. I'm tired and it's bed time now.

No comments: