Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Well, riding the fast canine on Earth (Greyhound) was an experience that I haven't had in a very long time. I kinda remember when i was young, there were such bus trips to Malaysia and other places. So the Greyhound was something like that. A 3 hour trip to the Windy City Chicago.

Ah... Chicago, Home of the Bulls, Cubs and (recently) Gawee Lee Jack Jin. I had about 40 hours to spend in Chicago after arriving there on Sunday afternoon. So I went to Chinatown and ate dim sum. That's the best thing about Chicago - the food. Purdue food doesn't even compare to the stuff Chicago has to offer. I had dim sum for lunch and a cornucopia of Singaporean food. Or at least close enough attempts at Singaporean food. Chicken rice, bak ku teh, char kuay teow (not so good)... I'm salivating again now... Although I didn't get my fishball noodle, dry with chilli, I was satisfied. But such food doesn't come cheap. Overall, over a 2 day span, i think i spent more on food than on my hotel.

So I went to Chicago for one main thing. To eat. What's new right? But i managed to squeeze time from pampering my palates to see Gaweeee. The University of Chicago is a pretty place, with lotsa ivies and gardens. I went in fall so there was many shades of red, yellow and brown contrasting with the green creepers on the grey buildings. It's like the school caretakers purposely grow ivy on the building. Even the modern looking buildings have ivy on them. The photos for this trip will come when i can see Gawee online again so he can pass them to me.

Walking Chinatown, University of Chicago and downtown Chicago took up the better part of my first day and only night in Chicago. I went to see the John Hanncock tower (94 floors high, at that height, a penny dropped can cause serious concussions) and went to the famous Cheesecake Factory. It's verrrryyyyyyyyy gooooodddddd. The tiramisu cheesecake is fantastic. And i'm sure that many many people will agree. Definitely try it if you have the chance.

On my second day, i woke up late so i could only visit the Shedd Aquarium. It's really interesting. I didn't know that there were eels that mimiced sea grass. There was also a pair of hongkong chicks that were hanging around the amazon exhibit. Consequently, i spent an inordinate amount of time looking at Amazon turtles, crocodiles and frogs. =)

I didn't manage to finish touring the aquarium though before i had to run about 15 blocks down the street to get to the Greyhound bus terminal. So that was all for my trip. Photos will be coming soon.

No comments: