Friday, August 11, 2006

An Intro to the Rest Of Your Life...

Well, that's a wrap then. 3 years of college have come and gone and I have a pretty little piece of paper to show for it. And with that piece of paper, I have managed to secure my exit from Unemploymentsville (population: Not Me). That journey started sometime the past Monday, when I made the 100 mile trip to my new work place for an interview. Having arrived 40 minutes early, I parked in the open air car park and reviewed my notes in the car. It was like 32 degrees outside and I was sweating as I put on my tie and suit.

Having spent 20 minutes getting ready, I proceeded into the air-conditioned building to freshen up and announce my arrival. The company was located on the 3rd story and as I exited the elevator, I noticed that the reception was kinda spartan and they had a book about germanic art. My interview would be with the company president, VP and the sales manager. They were all very friendly people and the interview went very smoothly. At the end of the whole process, the president made me an offer and asked if I wanted to wait for about 20 minutes for him to type it up. Right there and then, I wanted to burst out in song and dance, but of course, I calmly said I would wait. So back I went to the reception. The problem was, I had that walking on air kind of feeling that makes your toes feel very light, and I was struggling to control my facial expressions as I wasthiscloseto bursting out in laughter at the reception. I managed to control my impulses and I started flipping through that book about art. The whole book was written in German so I didn't have to spend much time reading the words, but as the cliche goes "A picture is a worth a thousand words", some of the oil works looked very very realistic and it was a good way to while the time away. However, the interview ended around 4:10 pm and when 4:30 came and left, I started to get anxious. That jump for joy feeling became mixed with a "OMG, they changed their minds" sensation that made my stomach knot up. After 4:40, I became acutely aware of each passing moment, alternately trying to keep myself from laughing out for joy and telling myself not to worry. FINALLY, at 4:50pm, the president comes out with this HUGE stack of paper and said that they had printer problems. I got my offer letter, thanked him and walked straight to my car. There, I locked the door and started screaming and yelling for 5 minutes straight. And then I started calling everyone.

So there you have it, my intro to the rest of my life involved an extremely excruciating 15 minute delay. But at least I have started moving on.

No comments: