Sunday, January 04, 2009

2009!

First (post)!

Ok, so maybe that was kinda lame. But with the first post of 2009, I will want to set out some of my goals for this year and review 08 for me.

I think 2008 was quite interesting for my career. It marked an evolution in my career as I started taking on more responsibility for start-ups and projects. I was the point man for the company for the one major start-up in Mar. I started to understand more about how equipment worked as I spent time in the field and saw actuators, switches and electrical panels. However, I still am not quite there yet in design, with my boss here, I should be able to learn more.

I think I kinda wasted my time in Chicago as I mostly stayed home whenever I wasn't on a startup but it was a definite improvement over the previous place I was staying. At least there's MUCH MUCH more food choices here. Some friends who graduated also moved into the city, so I got together some, but I can improve of that in 09.

I finally managed to play barre chords on my accoustic, so that's good. However, the playing is still very sloppy at times and needs more practice. Composing songs is way harder than I thought so I think I should concentrate more on playing instead. Ha.

Exercise was very inconsistent. There were periods where I worked out and then there were times I totally slacked. I need to have better discipline when I go out on start-ups. Need to exercise more and eat less. Luckily, most of the startups should be in summer this time. And that means I can actually go outside to jog/walk. But I gotta watch out for my knee.

Overall, I think 2008 was satisfactory. I enjoyed myself in the new city and the stuff I did at work. However, looking back, I realise that I can do much more in both aspects. 2009 will build on that.

To that effect, I will start a new label "Resolutions09", so I can actually follow my progress (or lack of) throughout the year. So without any further ado, I will list the things I want to accomplish for 2009 and my vision for doing so.

1. Lose 2 lbs per month.
- I have worked out a timetable for my exercise routine so I can gauge my willpower.
- I have promised to set out $10 per month to this goal. If I fail in any month, I will set that 10 bucks aside to treat my motivator (if said motivator actually tries to motivate me)
- Smaller Portions!! I don't snack a lot but I think I eat big portions for meals.
- Eat fruits/cereal(?) before lunch. To try to sate the mid-morning hunger pang.
- Track my progress bi-weekly. Starting from now. Wt= 227lb.

2. Manage my finances better
- SET MY BUDGET for the month!!
- Track expenses per week, instead of per month.
- Start Investing! Or at least actively track things I-would-invest-in-if-I-had-the-money
- Track my progress bi-weekly. Trend Interest rates, Property, Select Investment prices (this to be done from DJ or SP500 stocks)

3. Get out more
- I probably have 5-6 startups this year to go to. Which means a max of 5 months free at home in Chicago.
- Go hang out in Borders.
- Go out every weekend to walk the streets.
- Dance classes(?) if they fit my schedule.

4. Career
- Design my first pilot scale equipment
- Learn about the pros & cons of different equipment. Why is stuff used for specific apps and not others?
- Brush up on thermo!!
- Monthly Review on what I have accomplished in the month.

Wow, this is quite a long post. Well, here's to wishing everyone (and myself especially)the willpower and luck to get through 2009 without breaking any resolution!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so i did a short cardio/fat burn program on the elliptical machine today, and my body fat was measured as 21% (which is probably lower than it is in reality) pre-workout. After 33min, 1.3miles and 360 calories? Surprise, surprise, it was measured as 21.5% O_o

Zu31G said...

Lol. More accurate after working out?