Monday, September 08, 2008

Do Barely-Skillful Guitarists Dream of Broken Necks?

So I had a weird, weird dream last night. I can't remember the setting very well, but it was one of those older Chinese street settings you see on 上海滩 and the like. I don't remember what I was doing or where I was going, but I remember walking down the streets with a guitar strapped across my back, like how the 2 dudes from 功夫 were carrying their 古镇(At least, I think it was a 古镇). Why wasn't the guitar carried vertically? I have no idea. Narrative impetus I guess.

Anyways, I was walking into a side alleyway and for some reason, I turned around. And the guitar smashed against the wall. And snapped, into 2 at about the 5th fret. Which really freaked me out. I spun around at the sound and this time hit the OTHER wall. Which made another snap. Right near the body. I remember feeling shocked about the whole thing and thinking "OMG! What shoddy workmanship!". I was also thinking, "Acoustic-Electric here I come!". Then for some unknown reason, I saw that the strings had broken into 3 sections as well and decided to try finger tapping that 5 fret section. And miraculously, it worked! So I tried my hand at tapping awhile before it dawned on me. Why the hell did the string fracture into 3 different pieces? And then I woke up and double checked my guitar to be sure...

No comments: