Monday, January 16, 2006

P.O.C.A.R. - A Review

It's 530am and I've been asleep for the last 11-12 hours trying to recuperate from the weekend's aborted P.O.C.A.R. (Purdue Outing Club Adventure Race) attempt. From the way my body aches after that 12-15 mile trek, I think I need at least another 3 more days to soothe the sore muscles... But in any case, here is the review of how I spent the better part of my weekend. (Done IGN.COM style)

Presentation: 6. The boy scout camp was quite in the middle of nowhere and we had some trouble locating it initially. Also, it was a camp site so there was nothing spectacular about it. However the cookhouse was heated so that was good. And we (eventually) had a toilet with running water. Uber.

Graphics: 8. It was good to get back to nature again. Even if half the trees were bare and everything was queit. It gave a sense of soothing nature. Except when we had to trek through thorns... Some points lost due to the lack of babes but bonus points given cos I could see the constellations in real life for the first time. Big Dipper baby!!

Sound: 6. Nothing spectacular. Just the quiet sounds of a forest in winter. We did come across some hunters so we heard dogs and duck calls. Other than that, a forest in winter is perfect for quiet lovers.

Gameplay: 8. Ahh, the meat of POCAR. It was to be a 36 mile trek but I KO'd after the first 12 or so. But it was kind fun trekking through the forest and walking all the roads/trails/straight bashed paths. Thank god we had a pro navigator on our team. Else I think we would have quit even earlier.

Lasting Appeal: 5. It's a toss-up basically. I won't be doing this anytime soon, but it wasn't a NEVER AGAIN kind of experience. Perhaps when I get into better shape... Nah... Haha. I think that it was really lucky we could borrow stuff from POC but next time I'm sleeping in the car and not in the park overnight...

Overall: 6. It wasn't a bad experience but not something I would do again anytime soon. I was lucky and had uber-mates in Bruce, Julia and Randy. They made a gruelling sadomasochist experience that much better.

Pics will be up when I get some.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh please. Not you 2...