Tuesday, April 19, 2011

First Step

Ok. So i started an account on Sunday and transferred some money into it. Apparently it takes FOREVER for the transfer to be authorized as I'm still sitting at $0.00 available spending money... This is aggravating. Since I have to wake up at 4:30 tomorrow morning, I'll just make a brief run through of what I'm gonna get initially.

1. Gonna ETF's. ETF (exchange traded funds) are like stocks but mirror indexes (S&P 500, Russell 1000, Chinese Precious Metals Industry, etc). I think by getting ETF's instead of individual stocks, you will diversify your risks and increase the span of your investments. This means that you will rise with the market and fall with the market so the potential for super gains is pretty small unless you invest in a specific sector ETF. Of course, there is a management fee since an ETF is a 'managed' basket of stocks so there is slightly less bang for the buck but I think that's a fair trade for a very beginner's step into investing.

The ones that I have my eye on are the Russell 1000 (IWF for growth) and the Dow Jones Select Dividend (DVY) since a guaranteed return (dividends) is always nice.

2. Apple. Although I don't own any Apple products, a lot of my friends do. They are a very successful company that has a strong legion of believers. Currently, the stock is heading towards a 5 year high that started since the 2009 recession. I believe it is a good time to get it because they should be announcing new iPhone models soon. Either a white one or the iPhone 5. They will probably want to set the bar again with their latest phone model since Android has pretty much caught up and now with the Windows and Nokia cooperation, that's another potential competitor with deep pockets.

It might be a little expensive based on historic rates, but I am thinking this is probably something I will buy and sell some of when the new iPhone comes out to lock in some profits. Succession of Steve Jobs is another potentially risky issue but I'm just looking at the short term (next 6 months) for now.

3. Google. Apple and Google. 2 titans clashing out. Google actually is taking quite a tumble in 2011. I think with the China issues and a new CEO, people are not very sure what the direction of the company is (or can be, in the case of China). However, I believe that Google is trying to diversify itself into different markets and that should provide the avenue of growth. It's a pricey stock but I believe it should only get better in a few years.

Non-investment note:
I recently got a calorie counter for my phone and man, do you get more conscientious when you are tracking, in real-time, the stuff you eat. Hopefully, this will help me keep my calorie count low enough to get into shape by June.

2 comments:

ebof said...

Don't know about Apple... they're at an all-time high and like you said, with Steve Jobs' health questionable, I don't know how long the stock will sustain itself. But I guess if you're just looking at short-term, you might be ok. iPhone 5 is not expected to be a big change from the iPhone 4, so you might just expect sales to come from those who did not get the 4 and those crazy hardcore Apple fanatics.

Zu31G said...

Yeah. And since I missed the boat before the 1Q earnings report, I might just wait and see first.