Monday, June 14, 2010

Saying Goodbye

Up till now, I have had the fortune to not have many loved ones pass away. My grand father passed away in a vehicle accident, I lost a basketball buddy to a hit and run and an army buddy died in college. In all cases, the news of their passing was sudden and shocking, I never got a chance to really say goodbye. By the time I knew, it was too late.

I have a friend who was diagnosed with cancer recently. The docs say he had 3 months to live. That clock started ticking in March. I called him to express my sympathy and hope for his recovery but it's a weird feeling, chatting to someone who knows he has only a limited time left. He is literally wasting away in front of everyone - he lost half his weight in 2 months and according to the doctors has only 30+ more days.

I told him to keep fighting and to keep living the way he wants to. But it's really weird to say stuff like 'Just in case I don't see you anymore...' or 'It's been great knowing you'. I wonder if I could have said things in a better manner...

In any case, my wishes and thoughts go out to him. I hope he proves all the experts wrong.

1 comment:

ZhEnZ said...

chill bro ... chill ...