Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Financial Sucess

I had a discussion with a friend the other day about the pros and cons of investing, with then evolved into a discussion about how to be content in life. I think that everyone has their own individual path to contentment, but that's not the topic of this post.

What I do want to talk about is setting financial goals. Now that I actually have spending power and have some savings, I think I want to try to make my money work for me. To do this, I'm thinking of investing in stocks.

There are a couple of reasons why I think stocks are a good investment vehicle.
1. I'm (relatively) young and can weather the ups and downs of economic cycles.
2. Stocks have historically given the highest rates of return amongst investments
3. I don't have the money to buy property, nor do I have the inclination to shop around to look for ideal buys.
4. US Treasury bonds have abysmal returns.

However, since I'm essentially a "new bird" at this, I don't have much seed money. So I can't afford a full-brokerage nor can I invest in many stocks. So I've decided that a discount broker, probably Scott Trade, and exchange traded funds are the way to go.

With the new year coming, I think this is a good time to start doing my research and invest. I will keep this blog updated with my forays into the financial world. Wish me luck and wisdom.

3 comments:

sadfszdfasdf said...

There is contentment, and then there is discontent. There is no "path", grasshopper.

Anonymous said...

Haha, I guess i'm not young anymore.

Anonymous said...

that's success, with 2 c's

and age is less relevant for guys, since you can always claim you get better with age